Last updated: March 2017
Please note: These rates are exclusive of VAT. Not all freelance editors, proofreaders or indexers charge VAT. Please clarify this with the individual freelancer when you obtain a quotation.
Recommended minimum rates for proofreading and editing
- Proofreading or light copy-editing: €25–€35 per hour
- Standard copy-editing: €40 per hour
- Substantive/developmental editing and fact-checking: €40+ per hour
- Project management: €45+ per hour
- Readers’ reports/manuscript assessments: €500 for 75k–100k words
Rates will be higher for specialist editing services in areas requiring professional knowledge of technical concepts, terminology or methodologies. See the FAQs for information on the distinction between proofreading, copy-editing, substantive editing, etc.
Although speeds vary, the following guidelines may be useful:
- Complex: 2,000 words per hour
- Simple: 4,000 words per hour
- Complex: 800 words per hour
- Simple: 1,600 words per hour
Recommended minimum rates for indexing:
With indexing, it is more usual to refer to a rate per page.
- Complex:from €4.50 or more per page
- Basic: from €3 per page
Costing an index involves consideration of a number of factors: nature of text, number of pages, level and depth of index needed, any special requirements such as multiple indexes, cumulative indexes, etc.
Clients buying indexing services should ask for an initial estimate based on a representative sample chapter.